Science is a core subject which is studied throughout the school.
In the Early Years Foundation Stage, Science forms part of the work covering ‘Knowledge and understanding of the world’. In this area of learning children are developing the skills and understanding that help them make sense of the world. They do this through exploration, observation, problem solving, prediction, critical thinking, decision making and discussion.
These early experiences and skills are developed as children move through school where the emphasis continues to be on developing scientific thinking and understanding through a range of practical exploration, enquiries, and investigations.
At West Felton C.E Primary we have a wide range of resources available to support teaching and learning in science, and teachers endeavour to make use of the outdoor environment and external links wherever possible to produce exciting and stimulating contexts within which the children can learn.
Science teaching and learning is two pronged – it develops both enquiry skills and knowledge about the world around us. It also promotes awe and wonder, appreciation of human achievement and a desire to know and understand more.
At West Felton we aim for science teaching to be thorough and rigorous, fun and exciting, and promote a love of learning for life.
Science learning is linked to class topics in order to provide a rich and cohesive experience. Please click on the links below for our long term plans. Look out for more specific class science information on class pages, topic plans and in class information packs.
Our big concepts in Science at West Felton:
- To inspire a love for and awe in our natural world.
- To harness and channel our children’s innate inquisitiveness.
- To develop scientific knowledge and conceptual understanding through the specific disciplines of biology, chemistry and physics.
- To develop understanding of the nature, processes and methods of science through different types of science enquiries that help them to answer scientific questions about the world around them.
- To ensure our children are equipped with the scientific knowledge required to understand the uses and implications of science, today and for the future.
Progression in Scientific Enquiry at West Felton:
Vocabulary in Science at West Felton:
We have a vast collection of vocabulary resources which we use in science. They are available on request and will be shared with you and your children as we meet them.